If you’re thinking of colouring your hair at home – read these tips before you reach for the bottle.
- Don’t try a dramatic change of colour on a whim. Take some time to think about it and whether it will suit your colouring.
- Do check the colourant brand descriptions, i.e. honey blonde or medium brown, and not the colour names to get a true reflection of the colour and the correct level of depth and tone for your hair.
- Use a clarifying shampoo to remove any build up of shampoo, conditioner and styling products before you colour your hair. This will help to prevent patchy, uneven colour.
- If you’ve used a home hair colour remover, allow three washes before you use a peroxide based colourant, to avoid the colour ‘grabbing’ and appearing much darker than intended.
- If you’re trying to cover up greys, opt for a colourant that’s two shades lighter than your original colour. Using the same shade can make the end result ‘heavy’ and unnatural.
If you’re looking to getting your hair dyed red, then read the guide here.