Ever notice little white flakes on your black clothes? If so you’re not alone. But instead of reaching for the medicated shampoo, why not raid your kitchen for one of these natural dandruff treatments ?
- Take the peels of 3-4 lemons; boil them in 4-5 cups of water for 20 minutes. Once cool use this solution to rinse your hair after washing. Lemon juice prevents those pesky flakes and also makes your hair super shiny.
- Now it might sound strange, but natural yoghurt is another proven remedy. Apply to hair and leave for 10 – 15 minutes, then wash and condition as normal. Repeat on a regular basis until your dandruff disappears.
- Coconut oil smooths and nourishes the hair and scalp. Warm 4-5 tablespoons and then massage gently into the scalp with your fingertips. Leave for half an hour and then wash hair thoroughly to get rid of any excess oil.
- The acidity in apple cider vinegar may help to kill any bacteria that may be contributing to dandruff. It does have a drying effect, so make sure to apply conditioner afterwards.
- Another good trick: Aspirin. The acetyl-salicylic acid in aspirin is one of the active principles of anti-dandruff shampoos. This is a keratolytic agent, that helps soothe dandruff itching. Take 100 mg of aspirin and dissolve it in half a glass of water. Apply this mixture on your scalp (at the roots of your hair), after you’ve washed and conditioned your hair. Massage lightly and don’t rinse.
- Avoid stressful situations. Stress is a known trigger of dandruff. It can change the composition of the sebum, helping the the main responsible for dandruff, the Malassenzia fungus, to proliferate. So avoid getting stressed and try relaxation massages before you sleep at night.
- Baking soda is a very good anti fungal remedy. So, take a spoonful of baking soda and massage it well on your scalp. Rinse with lukewarm water and don’t condition! You can use this remedy every other wash.
- Olive oil, honey and egg hair mask. Another effective mask to get rid of dandruff and to strengthen hair roots is prepared from olive oil, honey and cinnamon powder.Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 2 tablespoon of honey and an egg yolk, then apply this mixture to your hair for 30 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
- And finally to support these natural dandruff treatments eat a healthy diet which is especially rich in zinc and B vitamins.